Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Facial Fractures

Facial fractures usually occur in automobile collisions,and sports related injuries. In automobile collisions rough contact when collision happens can cause damage to the frontal skull. In sports there are various causes like contact with equipment and environment, direct contact with body and between players.Complications in facial fractures vary from vision loss, diplopia, and severe facial deformity. In severe fractures you can even have the loss of smell and taste.

The therapy give for RTP was a liquid diet and 6 week normal diet. The rehab process took a little longer than therapy. The first 3 weeks the athlete only did walking and biking. At 5 weeks the athlete was able to run,sprint, and weight lifting. At 11 weeks passed by the CT scans were made to see if the athlete was able to play or practice their sport.

I've learned to recognize the injury. I can tell when because, of a deformity when the face doesn't have a normal form. When there is too much bleeding and when they can't stand the pain. For the return to play they need a face shield. Its evenly molded for the face. Its evenly distributes pressure around the area of the fracture. The face shield has to be worn for a year.


As a student athletic trainer I have discovered a variety of things. Some things I have learned were taping specific areas of our bodies. I’ve also learned how to identify injuries and cuts, such as abrasions, lacerations, punctures, fractures, etc. Knowing this could help me in my future career as a doctor, I know that I'll learn it later on so it'd be a review. I could expand all of my knowledge by paying more attention to all of the curriculum we've been taught. Also I could go further detail in facial fractures, such as how to fix them or what to do when there is a facial incident. I believe that i should take all of this into consideration and try more as a student athletic trainer.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting how the first few weeks the athlete can bike but not run. I find it similar because the athlete is using both it's feet while biking or running.
    Just wondering after wearing the face mask does it affect your face like how an arm cast affects the arm?
    Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very interesting and I agree with you that the things we learn in this class are and will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be very difficult to have a facial fracture. Wearing a face shield for a year is a very long time. It must take a long time for a facial fracture to heal.

    ReplyDelete